Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Trans Politics on a neo-Liberal Landscape" (and the Dangers of Trickle-Down Social Justice Movements). THANK YOU, Dean Spade!! (See video here.)



I've been hoping someone would say all this. And now my hopes have come true. Well, they came true when Dean Spade put together this presentation/argument. And here is part of it, above.

And thanks to the commenter below, here is the full speech/video!! Source here: http://vimeo.com/4596216


Dean Spade from BCRW Videos on Vimeo.


This is the full-length video of Dean Spade's lecture, "Trans Politics on a Neoliberal Landscape," delivered on February 9, 2009 at Barnard College. This video was created by the Barnard Center for Research on Women. For additional videos and podcasts of this event and others like it, please visit barnard.edu/​bcrw .

Readers, what do y'all think of what is being said here?

Also, here is Dean Spade's homepage:

http://www.deanspade.net/

5 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Dean Spade, and this is an excellent lecture. The entire video is available here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi About Jikaku,

    You're rocking my world. Thanks so much for that link to the whole vid.

    VERY much!

    If you write on this subject, do you have anything you'd like me to post here on my blog??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julian,

    My expertise is very specific (notions of queerness in Japan and SEA, mostly), and probably only relevant in spirit to the work you're doing here on your blog (it's also mostly in Japanese).

    That said, I've been lurking your blog for a long time and I'm a huge fan. Keep up the good work and know your efforts are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to post this exact video in response to my previous comment. I didn't want to paraphrase his stance, just because he puts it so well. This speech inspired me so much. So great.

    Also, I realized after commenting that I had not in fact fully read the previous post explaining the conflict you were referencing. That’ll teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ようこそいらっしゃいました。
    Youkoso irasshai mashita, Jikaku.

    Please come by and comment any time. I have now made contact with Dean Spade, thanks to you. :)

    ありがとう
    Arigato!

    ReplyDelete