Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Radical Feminist Pat Parker: Summer School Info Session and Celebration Birthday Party Announcement!

What follows is an excerpt from “For Audre”:

I have known you forever
Been aware that you would come
My muse sang of you
Said watch the sky for an ebony meteorite
That will pierce into your darkness
And illuminate your fears…
— Pat Parker

(January 20, 1944 - June 19, 1989)
Pat Parker, 1972
Gelatin silver print
Photographer: Lynda Koolish
(who is the sole owner of this image; it is posted here with her permission)
this image was found at this website:  http://southpawgrammarradioshow.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/pat_parker.jpg
LYNDA KOOLISH PHOTOGRAPHS COLLECTION

It's been twenty-one years since her passing, and January 20th would have been the brilliant, wonderful lesbian feminist poet Pat Parker's 66th birthday. So celebrate her life and work!!!! Here are the details on where and how to do just that. All that follows, which contains links back, is from here, which is where the poem, photo of Pat Parker, and all the information below is gathered:

Pat Parker Birthday Party and Eternal Summer School Info Session
January 5, 2010

If I could take all my parts with me when I go somewhere, and not have to say to one of them, “No, you stay home tonight, you won’t be welcome,” because I’m going to an all-white party where I can be gay, but not Black. Or I’m going to a Black poetry reading, and half the poets are antihomosexual, or thousands of situations where something of what I am cannot come with me. The day all the different parts of me can come along, we would have what I would call a revolution.
— Pat Parker, Movement in Black

Hey family!  January 20th is the birthday of the brilliant Black lesbian poet, publisher and activist Pat Parker!  Come celebrate at the inspiration station.  Eat cake and engage quotations from Pat Parker’s inspiring body of work.  AND get applications and information  for the School of Our Lorde and the Survival School series (applications for the February sessions due Jan 25th!)

Wednesday January 20th 6pm
Inspiration Station!
Cake for everyone!
Kids welcome!
Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Julian  |  January 6, 2010 at 7:14 am





    Thank you for posting this. Would you mind if I copy/paste AND link back to this post on my blog?
    I hope many show up to celebrate her life and work! She is missed and was gone way too soon, but her work lives on.
    Julian
    Reply



  • 2. alexis  |  January 6, 2010 at 12:39 pm





    Sure Julian. Thanks for spreading the word.
    Blessings,
    Alexis






No comments:

Post a Comment