[photograph of Rebecca Robles is from here]
Rebecca Robles (Acjachemen) is the
Co-Director of United Coalition to Protect Panhe,
and will be one of the featured speakers.
What follows is from Censored News, here. Thank you, Brenda.
SACRED PLACES CONVENTION FOR INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
Saturday, June 12—Sunday, June 13, 2010
Puvungna, California State University Long Beach
RESERVE YOUR SPOT AT THE CONVENTION TODAY! Registration Deadline is Monday, June 7, 2010.
Indigenous sacred places are central to the ongoing spiritual, mental, and physical health of the people and the survival of Tribal Nations. The purpose of this two-day Convention is to empower Indigenous peoples and Indian Nations to collaborate effectively in our work. This Convention will enhance Native governance and cultural competency throughout Indian Country by building the capacity of present and future Indigenous leaders to protect sacred places and cultural resources.
· Promote information sharing among Indian Nations, grassroots Indigenous led organizations, Indigenous sacred places activists, and community organizers on strategies for successful sacred place protection;
· Build the capacity of Convention participants to protect their sacred sites; identify points of collaboration for local, state, and national legislative, policy, and community action to promote the protection of Indigenous sacred places;
· Increase the community organizing skills of Convention participants;
· Engage tribal youth on the issue of Indigenous sacred place protection; and,
· Develop a strategic plan for further statewide and national collaboration of Indigenous peoples on sacred place protection issues.
· Best Practices for Indigenous Sacred Place Protection in California;
· Media Tools for the Protection of Sacred Places;
· Environmental Tools for the Protection of Sacred Places;
· Sacred Place Protection: Updates from Across the Nation;
· Sacred Place Protection in the International Arena; and,
· Coalition-Building & Community Organizing in Indigenous Communities.
Keynote Speakers & Panelists:
· Chief Caleen Sisk Franco, Winnemem Wintu Spiritual Leader
· Preston Arrowweed, Quechan Elder and Spiritual Leader
· Dave Singleton, Program Analyst, Native American Heritage Commission
· Greg Castro, Salinan, Archaeological Resources Committee, State Historic Resources Commission
· Desire Martinez, Tongva Archaeologist
· Rebecca Robles, Acjachemen, Co-Director, United Coalition to Protect Panhe
· Morning Star Gali, International Indian Treaty Council
· Alberta Nells, Navajo, Youth of the Peaks, and many more!
Please join us in our efforts to help build the capacity of Indigenous peoples to protect our sacred places and cultural resources. Email Angela at email@example.com to register. Please include your name, contact information, tribal affiliation, and how many days you plan to attend.
Registrations must be received by Monday, June 7, 2010!
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org